ENTERTAINMENT: Avengers Say the Darnedest Things
The greatest films in history have the greatest dialog. Silent films obviously don't....count. But, as far as I'm concerned, I think I'd personally be more satisfied with The Dark Knight (2008) with 20% more dialog, even as the cost of 20% of the film's best action sequences. I kid you not, and that's not an easy thing to say--or admit to myself.
But the Marvel Cinematic Universe is full of beautifully inclusive dialog that unlocks the vulnerabilities of some of the universe's most dangerously, erratic, and powerful heroes and villains. In movies so dizzyingly colorful with earth-shattering violence, epic heroics, and childhood fantasy come to life, sometimes it's just nice to know that the directors, producers, and actors of the MCU films care about what is said. Actions speak louder than words, always....but....sometimes.... words are pretty loud, too. Here are my favorite lines of dialog from EACH Marvel Cinematic Universe film. After you read this, have yourselves a dandy ol' MCU movie marathon, and try to catch each of these quotes.
1) Iron Man (2008): James Rhodes, War Machine--"Next time, baby."
2) The Incredible Hulk (2008): Thunderbolt Ross--"That IS the target!!"
3) Iron Man 2 (2010): Justin Hammer--"I don't know if you know this, but I don't SPEAK. RUSSIAN."
4) Thor (2011): Thor Odinson--"ANOTHER."
5) Captain America: The First Avenger (2011): Steve Rogers, Captain America--"Start running, they'll never let you stop. Ya stand up, push back... can't say 'no' forever, right?"
6) The Avengers (2012): Tony Stark, Iron Man--"THAT MAN IS PLAYING GALAGA. Thought we wouldn't notice...but we did."
7) Iron Man 3 (2013): Tony Stark, Iron Man--"You know what keeps going through my head...? Where's my sandwich."
8) Thor: The Dark World (2013): Loki: "God bless America."
9) Captain America The Winter Solder (2014): Captain "For as long as I can remember I just wanted to do what was right. Guess I'm not quite sure what that is anymore. And I thought I could...throw myself back in, follow orders; serve. It's just not the same."
10) Guardians of the Galaxy (2014): Ronan the Accuser--"You call me BOY? I will unfurl one thousand years of Kree justice on Xandar, AND BURN IT TO ITS CORE. THEN, THANOS....I'm coming for YOU."
11) Avengers Age of Ultron (2015): The Vision--"I suppose we are both disappointments." Ultron, in response: "Hahaha....I suppose we are."
12) Ant-Man (2015): Luis--"Thank you for the coffee, ma'am. It's not too often that, you rob a place, and then get welcomed back. Because we just robbed you."
13) Captain America: Civil War (2016): Scott Lang, Ant-Man--"Captain America...! It's an honor! I'm shaking your hand too long! It's Captain America--I know you too, you're great!! Geez! Look, I wanna say, I know you know a lot of super people. So thinks for thanking of me!"
14) Doctor Strange (2016): Baron Mordo--"The bill...comes...due."
Sigh. That was actually very difficult to jot down. If maybe the list was less narrow and I went for, say, the best scenes of dialog in these films, of just my favorite scenes period, that'd be one thing, yeah. But just having ONE line of dialog each movie? That's hard! So challenge yourselves, true believers. What are yours?